- Case Study: Hurstpierpoint College, Hassocks, West Sussex
- Product: The Kendal Cantilever Walkway
- Size: 5m x 24m
- Additional Options: Powder Coated Racing Green Red
Hurstpierpoint College required a canopy to provide shelter at the front of their nursery, and contacted Able Canopies for their advice and help. Initially the College enquired about a waterproof Shade Sail installation, yet they were not too sure. Able Canopies arranged a surveyor to complete a free full site survey to discuss their options and the type of canopy he felt would be most suitable for their needs and budget.
After the survey had been completed the college needed to decide between the product they liked the most: The Keswick Cantilever Umbrella and The Kendal Cantilever Walkway – both being waterproof tensile fabric structures.
Hurstpierpoint College decided on the Kendal Cantilever Walkway as it is a very attractive canopy and it could span greater lengths. The College had also discussed the possibility of installing their own foundations as they had ongoing building works on site and felt it would be easier to use their own contractors. Able Canopies agreed that this would create an opportunity to work alongside another Contractor, who was already established on site at the college.
Able Canopies recruited a Structural Engineer, to provide all the structural calculations for the walkway. The structural engineer worked closely with Able Canopies fabrication engineers, the onsite contractors and Able Canopies Contracts Department. The Structural Engineer provided calculations for either a ‘piled base’ or a slab foundation system. The school and their own Contractors decided that they wanted to install the foundations using piles. All parties worked together to ensure that this stage of the installation went smoothly. One of the problems with using this type of pile cap is that there is a very small margin for error when installing the bolt cage at the top of the pile. Able Canopies worked alongside the Structural Engineer to design a bolt cage which allowed the correct amount of movement needed making it a perfect fit.
Product Facts – The Kendal Cantilever Walkway
• Waterproof tensile roof
• Unmatched strength with a weight of 590 g/sqm
• Standard 3m, 4m and 5m widths and an unlimited length
• Roof fabric available in 40 colours
• High UV protection
• Ease of maintenance with a consistently smooth appearance
• Supported by maintenance free tubular steel posts which have a diameter of 180mm upwards depending on the size of the tensile roof
• Steel posts can be powder coated to the colour of your choice
• Posts can be galvanised if required for ultimate corrosion protection
Able Canopies Ltd. design, manufacture and install commercial grade canopies, shade sails,
awnings and shelters across the UK. We specialise in servicing the education, leisure,
healthcare and retail sectors and have extensive experience working with
schools, councils, architects and contracting firms.
For more information on our products and services please contact us
Latest posts by Christine (see all)
- Canopies for Holiday Parks - 31/03/2020
- Our Service from Design to Completion with Contractors & Architects - 30/03/2020
- FREE Rainbow Colouring Download #StayHomeSaveLives - 24/03/2020