Quick Guide to Licences

When it comes to licences for your events it is always best not to cut corners, you should always research any licences that may be required in advance to ensure you are licensed in time for your event.

I have listed below the most popular events organised by school PTA groups and stated whether or not a licence will be required.

TEN (Temporary Event Notices)
A TEN is required for any event in England & Wales that includes the supply of any of the following: alcohol, regulated entertainment and late night refreshments.

It’s important to remember that a TEN (Temporary Event Notices) is not an application it is a notification. Once your local authority receives your notification they will also pass it onto the local police and Environmental Health Department who will review the notice and either approve or object it within 3 working days. It I therefore important that you give plenty of notice well in advance of your event, a minimum of 14 workings days should be enough in case the notification is objected for any reason.

If your disco will have recorded or live music playing then a PRS and a PPL licence will be required. Discounts apply for any groups that are a registered charity or community group.

If you are supplying or selling alcohol at your event even if it’s a glass of wine with a meal you will still need to apply for a TEN.

If you plan on selling raffle tickets in advance of your event then a lottery licence will be required. However, if you plan on only selling tickets at the event and the prize/s will be awarded during the event on the same day at the sale of the tickets then a licence will not be required.

Licences for Film NightsMovie Screening
Schools do not need a licence if they are screening movies for the purpose of the national curriculum, however if you are holding an event and plan to screen movies such as for a “movie night” then a licence will be required. Click here for more information about planning a film night.

If you are holding a bingo night for a charity or a non for profit good cause then a licence is not required. If you plan on selling alcohol at the event then a TEN will be required.

A licence is not required for a fair such as Christmas fair or a summer fair, however if you are holding a raffle and plan on selling raffle tickets in advance or plan on selling alcohol then a licence will be required.

The information is this post is for guidance only, please check with your local authority for advice on any licences required before holding an event.

Download our fundraising pack for more information about fundraising along with over 24 fundraising ideas from A-Z:

Download our fundraising pack

Able Canopies Ltd. design, manufacture and install commercial grade canopies, shade sails,
awnings and shelters across the UK. We specialise in servicing the education, leisure,
healthcare and retail sectors and have extensive experience working with
schools, councils, architects and contracting firms.
For more information on our products and services please contact us

Follow us on our social media accounts for the latest funding advice, new products & latest news:
Twitter | Facebook | Google + | Linked In

The following two tabs change content below.


Marketing Assistant Manager at Able Canopies Ltd
Christine is Able Canopies' Marketing Assistant Manager and is an advocate of outdoor learning. She is a big fan of fundraising and is always looking for fresh fundraising and outdoor learning ideas to share.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *