Reveive up to £10,000 Towards Your Solar Canopy
If you are a small business based in the Kent, Medway, Essex, Thurrock, Southend or East Sussex region then you might be eligible for support for your projects targeting improving energy efficiency and sustainability.
If you qualify, LoCASE can provide up to 40% of the costs of your new solar structure to help you become a more sustainable business. The minimum grant that can be awarded is £1,000. The maximum grant amount is £10,000. Click here for more infomration > Solar Canopy & Carport Funding
Able Canopies' Solar Power
Able Canopies' Solar Power We have teamed up with the leading solar experts to offer our customers the highest quality solar carports that will generate maximum solar power and will last for many years to come. Enabling you to earn back the money that the canopy originally cost you and more!
Our range of solar canopies are ideal for schools, colleges, the health sector, shopping centres, leisure and holiday resorts or any organisation that is looking to become more sustainable and save on electricity bills. Investing in a solar carport demonstrates dedication and support to renewable energy, sending a very positive message to your students, customers and visitors about the use of eco-friendly solar energy to minimise your impact on the environment.
Benefits of a Solar Carport or Canopy
- It Will Pay for Itself – Leaving you with a structure that essentially becomes free over the years by taking advantage of the governments FIT scheme as mentioned below
- Benefit from the Feed-in Tariff (FIT) - The Feed-in Tariff is a government-backed scheme where your energy supply company pays you for the solar energy you use and solar energy you export back them
- Reduce your Carbon Footprint - Save on electricity bills whilst also reducing your carbon footprint and protect yourself from rising energy prices
- Excellent Learning Aid – Installing a solar canopy can be an excellent learning aid for lessons such as Geography and Science
- Positioned to Ensure Optimum Solar Efficiency – We can position the canopies to ensure optimum solar consumption, which is not possible when installing solar panels to existing building roofs
- MCS Accredited – Installed by MCS (Microgeneration Certification Scheme) accredited installers
- High Quality Solar Panels – For a high performance and longevity
How Solar Carports Work
Please read the solar carport frequently asked questions below to find out more about the FIT scheme and how a solar canopy or carport can benefit you.
Q. What is PV?
PV stands for Photovoltaic and the Photovoltaic effect is the conversion of sunlight into solar energy.
Q. Where will the inverter box be installed?
The inverter box will either be installed onto the canopy or on a nearby wall, depending on which is more suitable. It needs to be kept as close to the solar canopy as possible in order to ensure maximum output and safety of the cables.
Q. Does my existing fuse box need to be close to where I want a solar canopy installed?
Ideally it needs to be within 20-25 metres as we will need to connect the solar panels to your existing fuse box.
Q. How much will I save on my energy bills if I have a solar canopy installed?
It depends on the canopy installed, the size of the canopy and the positioning. Once we have conducted a site survey, you will be sent a quotation that will show the payback the canopy would offer you.
Q. Why should I choose a solar canopy over having panels installed on my roof?
If you do not have a south facing roof, then you will not generate as much energy, ideally solar panels need to be installed on a south facing roof. Our solar canopies are free standing and can therefore be positioned where required, allowing you to benefit from a full south facing installation.
Q. Why should I invest in a solar carport?
- You will receive a tax free return of 5-8% per year (up to a 25% return on PV element)
- It will be index linked for the next 20 years which means the revenue you receive will go up with inflation
- It is a government backed scheme
- The full canopy and solar panels cost will be returned within 10-15 years depending on the system and size chosen
- The solar panels will be paid for within just 4 years
- Help save the planet and show that your school or company cares about the environment
Q. I have received money from a grant – can I use this to purchase a solar canopy
If the grant allows you to then yes. Please note that some grant providers may not allow you to benefit from the feed-in or generation tariff so please check this with the grant provider. You will however, still be able to benefit from reduced energy bills as you will still be able to use all of the energy you produce.
Q. Will I use all of the energy I generate and what do I do with the left over energy?
Most commercial buildings and schools will use around 70% of the energy they produce and will have 30% left over. Left over energy can be exported to the national grid, earning you an additional revenue.
Q. How do I earn and save money – what are the tariffs?
You save and earn money from 3 different routes and you can use all 3 of them! The 3 tariffs are:
- Generation (FIT) Tariff – Earn money just by generating the electricity you produce
- Export Tariff – Earn money by selling any leftover energy you have generated to the National Grid
- User Tariff – This is what you save by producing and using solar energy instead of buying it from your energy supplier.
: You do need to ensure that you connect to the grid once you have had your solar carport installed - we will supply you with a certificate that will allow you to do so. Find out more about the government backed FIT scheme here: Feed-in-Tariff Information
Q. What are the current UK solar tariff rates?
The tariff rates are subject to change every 3 months however, please visit the Ofgem Website
for the up to date tariffs.
Q. Why should I get a solar carport or canopy over a regular carport or canopy?
Deciding to invest in a solar canopy instead of a regular canopy will enable you to receive the cost of the canopy and the solar panels back over a specific number of years. You will only have to pay a little extra in order to get all of your investment back. A regular canopy will not generate an income, pay you back or help you save on your energy bills. It also helps you become more self-sufficient, generating your own power on site.
Q. Are the solar panels maintenance free?
The solar panels have no moving parts and are encased within toughened glass panels, however it is advised to clean then bi-annually or annually depending on the geographical area you live in as panels work best when they are clean and dust and grime will therefore reduce the amount of solar energy you produce. We can offer a cleaning service, please contact us
for more details.
Q. Am I limited to where I can have a solar canopy installed?
To a certain extent yes, because there are certain factors that can affect the amount of solar energy your canopy is able to absorb. Please see the next question for a list of these factors.
Q. What factors can affect the amount of energy I can produce?
There are many factors that can affect the amount of energy you produce including: The roof pitch of the canopy - the orientation angle of the canopy – mono-pitch solar canopies are perfect for south facing installations and the dual-pitch solar canopies are prefect for east/west installations - The size of the system - Any tree, buildings etc. that may cause shading over the panels - solar irradiation for your area - any future buildings or installations near the canopy that could affect the shading over the canopy in the future.
Q. What is Solar Irradiation for my area?
A Solar Irradiation map shows the average UV levels in each area within the UK, which affects the amount of UV you can absorb. We will supply you with a payback as part of our quotation which will calculate the output of the system based on your geographical location and points above.
Free Solar Guide
Still have some questions? Our Solar Carport & Solar Canopy Guide may have the answers, downlaod your free copy now > Solar Carport and Solar Canopy Guide
We have uploaded a solar canopy video to YouTube, please click here to watch it: Solar Canopies
If you have any questions, or to find out if you qualifyfor a Free Site Survey contact us today