Cool Environmental Facts!

Cool Environmental Facts!

Environmental issues are very important and affect us all as a planet. Although many of us never really think about our actions, these facts may make you think twice next time you turn the light on when there is already enough daylight or when you leave the tap running when you’re not using it…

1. Did you know…The water you drink may have just come out of the tap clean and fresh but have you ever thought about how long your drinking water has been around? You’re probably thinking a week or two? You’re wrong; it has actually been around basically as long as the earth has!

Water is constantly recycled, think about it…
When the dinosaurs were walking the earth, they were playing in the water you drink from the lakes.
When cavemen were hunting for their food, they were washing in the water you drink from the rivers.
Who else can you think of that may have used the water you drink?

2. There is the same amount of water on earth as there was when the earth was formed. The water that came from your faucet could contain molecules that Neanderthals drank…

3. World fact: More people have a mobile phone than a toilet.
4. In a 100-year period, a water molecule spends 98 years in the ocean, 20 months as ice, about 2 weeks in lakes and rivers, and less than a week in the atmosphere.

5. Water consists of three atoms, 2 Hydrogen atoms and an Oxygen atom that are bonded together due to electrical charges.

6. Most of the earth’s surface consists of water; there is much more water than there is land.

7. There are two kinds of water; salt water and freshwater. Salt water contains great amounts of salt, whereas freshwater has a dissolved salt concentration of less than 1%. Only freshwater can be applied as drinking water.

Click here for more interesting water facts


The UK produces 420 million tonnes of solid waste every year. That’s the weight of 5 cars for each person every year. We only recycle 11% of it.

2. In just over a week, we produce enough rubbish to fill Wembley stadium. Over half of that waste can be recycled.

3. Every year in the UK we use 13 billion steel cans which if you placed them end to end, would stretch to the moon – three times!

4. We use over six billion glass bottles and jars each year. It would take you over three and a half thousand years to sing “Six Billion Green Bottles”!

Click here for more really interesting recycling facts and activities.

If you would like to know where your local re-cycling bank is then click here to view the Recycle now website and enter your postcode.


1. A heavy coat of dust on a light bulb can block up to 50% of the light.

2. Only about 10% of the energy used by a bulb creates light, the other 90% creates heat

3. The carbon footprint for each person in the UK is around 15 tonnes a year. – to give you an idea of how much 1 tonne of co2 is, 1 tonne is enough to fill the average 3 bedroom house!

4. You can travel almost five times further by train than by car for the same carbon footprint.

5. Make sure that all electrical appliances are turned off at the plug when not in use – you may not have realised this but some electrical equipment still uses energy even when they are left on standby!

Download Our Free Funding Guide Now

Able Canopies Ltd. design, manufacture and install commercial grade canopies, shade sails,
awnings and shelters across the UK. We specialise in servicing the education, leisure,
healthcare and retail sectors and have extensive experience working with
schools, councils, architects and contracting firms.
For more information on our products and services please contact us

Follow us on our social media accounts for the latest funding advice, new products & latest news:
Twitter | Facebook | Google + | Linked In